In my lap, I had to switch to the Intel GPU and turn off ATI because Ubuntu doesn't support switchable graphics really well. So, with Intel, I get some lags... There are several ways to fix this :
1) Use Unity 2D. In the login screen, select Ubuntu 2D which won't have much special effects. Some say the biggest issue is with Compiz. Unity 2D doesn't have Compiz.
2) Disable Dash Blur in compiz.
- Install compizconfig-settings-manager
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
- Open it, and go to "Ubuntu Unity Plugin"
- Now go to the "Experimental" tab and deactivate "Dash Blur"
3) Install and use Gnome Shell : http://techhamlet.co...n-ubuntu-11-10/ or Cinnamon : http://cinnamon.linu...com/?page_id=61
It did a small difference but not too much. I didn't tried too hard because I switched to Gnome Shell. Also considering Cinnamon. What do you think? Have any suggestions? Anyone fixed the issue successfully?