Lars Kongo is the Swedish designer who built these two awesome gnome themes Zukini and Zukitwo. These themes are for people who love simplicity and elegance. Mostly I like the transparent greyish colors they apply to the shell. With an icon theme like Faenza and a simple wallpaper, you can build a really cool desktop with them!
As mentioned in the title, both the themes support the old Gnome 2, the new Gnome 3 Shell and even Unity. To install these themes, you need to :
- Download Zukini or Zukitwo ( or both of them )
- Extract the downloaded zip files
- Go to the extracted folder and place the folders named Zukini (In the Zukini zip) and Zukitwo (In the Zukitwo zip) in /usr/share/themes folder. (You need to be root to do this. Do it through the command line or run Nautilus as root “sudo nautilus“)
- Next, open the terminal and install the “Gnome Tweak Tool” and the “User Theme Extension”
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme gnome-tweak-tool
Special thanks go to Andrew at WebUpd8 for maintaining this repository
- Now, reboot the machine and open the “Gnome Tweak Tool” (It will be named as “Advanced Settings”) and go to “Shell Extensions” and enable “User Theme Extension”
- Now, go to the “Theme” section and choose the theme you just installed from the drop down list. Check the below screenshot if you are not so sure :
You can also choose Zukini or Zukitwo as the GTK+ theme. But, I selected Ambiance because it looked better for me. I changed the shell theme and the window theme. That’s my taste… Your selection will be different… So, experiment!